Would you call it the casing, cladding, exterior structure, hull, shell...?

  • $\begingroup$ Depends on what you’re trying to say about it. “Skin” comes up a lot. $\endgroup$ Feb 15, 2018 at 19:21

1 Answer 1


It's sometimes (often) referred to as the Outer Mold Line, which always seemed a bit odd to me, because it's not molded, usually.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I always wondered where that term comes from... $\endgroup$
    – Tristan
    Feb 15, 2018 at 14:48
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Outer Mold Line is a term from metal manufacturing, it is the contour of the outside of a metal part (cr4.globalspec.com/thread/80869/…). For stamped sheet metal, this is the shape of the outer mold. $\endgroup$
    – Hobbes
    Feb 17, 2018 at 10:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.