In F1, and space shuttle engines (I think), the regenerative cooling tubing goes through the inner wall of the nozzle. The russian engines (RD-180 and likes) seem to have smooth inner and outer surfaces for the nozzle. However, I think the outer surface of the nozzle has the cooling tubing, which is then covered up by another sheet of metal. Is that correct? What are the advantages that either layouts may have over the other?

  • $\begingroup$ Related: space.stackexchange.com/questions/22001/… $\endgroup$ – Organic Marble Nov 15 '18 at 17:23
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In the F1 and SSME the cooling tubes are the nozzle. $\endgroup$ – Organic Marble Nov 15 '18 at 17:25
  • $\begingroup$ @OrganicMarble Hi, thanks for the answer, and I assume you worked an entire lifetime on these engines. In the answer to the link you have provided, the Russian channel wall technology link is dead. Could you say in short what that is, or provide an alternate link. Google search does not turn up anything interesting. $\endgroup$ – user2277550 Nov 15 '18 at 17:28
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It should be relatively easy to find by googling "channel wall rocket engine." For example ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20180006324 $\endgroup$ – Organic Marble Nov 15 '18 at 17:30
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the heads up on the dead link! $\endgroup$ – Organic Marble Nov 15 '18 at 17:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.