In the question How far away can spacecraft be seen with an optical telescope? I used

...Apollo 14 CM & LEM and the Saturn IV B..."

for lack of better words. Unlike some people I (don't) have the best words.

What is a better way to say "Apollo 14 CM & LEM"? Is there a one word name for those two spacecraft when they are connected, traveling and maneuvering in space together as a single unit?

For example, I think we can say Soyuz spacecraft to refer to all three components when they are connected, and Soyuz capsule for the unit containing astronauts returning to Earth.

But if I said Apollo spacecraft it might refer to either the CM, LEM, or both when connected. I'm looking for a term that refers exclusively to the connected pair.


1 Answer 1


I haven't seen a non-compound name used for the combination; the term "CSM/LM" seems to have been preferred. Here are a few contemporary NASA sources:

  • $\begingroup$ That looks reasonable/useful, thanks! $\endgroup$
    – uhoh
    Jan 7, 2019 at 4:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.