What's this part here used for? The thing that looks like if you poured dirt into it, that it'd sift through it. Not the antenna, the white thing in center that looks as if it could spin.
The finned cylinder is the RTG, the Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator. (Shown as the Multi-Mission RTG in the drawing below - MMRTG).
Drawing source - JPL Mars Science Lab Landing Press Kit, page 39.
- CheMin - Chemistry and Mineralogy
- DAN - Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons
- MARDI - MARs Descent Imager
- RAD - Radiation Assessment Detector
- REMS - Rover Environmental Monitoring Station
- RLGA - Rover Low Gain Antenna
- RUHF - Rover Ultra High Frequency
- SAM - Sample Analysis at Mars