I don't want to take them to the moon. I'm thinking of a manufacturing/recycling center somewhere in Earth obit. LEO would be best, but is also most crowded. MEO or EML4/5 might work.
I am thinking of some kind of robotic space tug to sweep up the junk to a place where it can be cannibalized.
- physics of grabbing and moving the satellite
- transferring ownership (position it as a service, not space piracy)
- second life for solar panels seems obvious
- high value electronics (most too old to be worth recovering)
- metals - is it cheaper to reuse than to launch new from Earth?
This will probably be much more practical when we have an O'Neill class habitat in orbit. What infrastructure would need to be in orbit to make it work? What baby steps can we take toward Blue Origin's mission of moving heavy industry to space?