The following map shows the different types of power plugs and sockets used by countries all over the world:

enter image description here

The International Space Station (ISS) is a joint project between five participating space agencies: NASA (United States), Roscosmos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (Europe), and CSA (Canada). Clearly, from the above map, it can be seen that almost all these agencies have different types of power plugs and sockets.

Which type of power plug do we use on the ISS? Do we use different types on the Russian Orbital Segment (ROS) and the United States Orbital Segment (USOS) of the ISS? Or did all countries agreed on a new "International Type" to be used as a standard for the ISS? If yes, do astronauts and cosmonauts carry International Adapter (or Universal Adapter, or Travel Adapter) like we do when we fly to different countries? I think they will be having adapters on the ISS itself because even though these are of less mass, why to unnecessarily waste the energy every time?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.