I wanted to build a rocket that goes to the karman line at 340000 feet which is technically space. I know the rules and what I need to get to launch the rocket such as faa clearance and more but I wanted to know if there were any certificates or permission I needed to build the rocket itself. I wanted to build one like the traveler 4 rocket as seen here http://www.uscrpl.com/traveler-iv this rocket reached the karman line with a solid rocket engine. I wanted to build something like this with a solid rocket engine. Hope someone can help thanks! EDIT: My location is in ohio, usa

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ You might want to include your location as the rules could vary widely. $\endgroup$
    – Eric G
    May 7 at 23:43

You'll need a level 3 certification for high power rocketry in order to get your hands on the stuff you need to build your rocket. The industry has so far been self-regulating so this isn't an official requirement, but nobody will sell you the engines without it.

I suspect you also need a flight termination system on a rocket that goes that far as I seriously doubt you can ensure the rocket remains over property you have permission to fly over. That's explosives which would require a blaster's license.

You're also in way beyond your depth, anyone who actually knows enough about rocketry to do this would not have asked the question.

  • $\begingroup$ Linking to reference citations would improve this Answer. For example, did you mean: nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-3-certification ? $\endgroup$ May 8 at 8:56
  • $\begingroup$ @BasilBourque Yeah--I didn't have the link at hand and since the important part was that he was way beyond his depth I didn't feel the need to hunt it down. $\endgroup$ May 8 at 17:44
  • $\begingroup$ The links would be for the rest of us uninformed readers who are curious. $\endgroup$ May 8 at 17:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.