What is that fixture called as? I think it is used to support the launch vehicle during integration. Please correct if wrong. source - https://www.ruaviation.com/news/2019/3/12/13107/?h enter image description here

enter image description here here's another one showing many such structures. source - https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/01/10/china-to-begin-construction-of-space-station-this-year/

  • $\begingroup$ Which yellow fixture? There are more than one. $\endgroup$
    – GdD
    Oct 23, 2021 at 11:36
  • $\begingroup$ The one that the launch vehicle is resting on. $\endgroup$
    – suzi Venus
    Oct 23, 2021 at 12:04
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ I'd call that a cradle. $\endgroup$
    – Fred
    Oct 23, 2021 at 17:11
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Fred You should call that an answer. $\endgroup$ Oct 24, 2021 at 15:59
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Isnt cradle the clamp structure in a strongback? This looks more mobile @Fred $\endgroup$
    – suzi Venus
    Oct 24, 2021 at 18:05

1 Answer 1


The device the rocket is resting on is called a cradle.

Depending on the type of rocket, cradles are used in rocketry during construction, storage and transportation. They provide a stable platform that supports rockets during any of these phases. They reduce the likelihood of accidental movement, such as rolling during any of these phases.

The caption for the picture below is Rocket fuselage parts holding cradle.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.