Number 8 on this Cracked PhotoPlasty article made me wonder - what would happen to an unprotected smartphone on the moon?
Meaningful differences between Earth surface environment and Moon surface:
- Heat cannot be dissipated by convection. The temperature due to the components will increase. The battery (lithium) may explode above 80°C.
- Screen may be difficult to read, because the light will be bright (directly exposed to the Sun).
No radiation protection:
- Chips are sensitive to radiation and may be disturbed. This is because insulation/conduction state in semi-conductors will be disrupted by the energy from the ionized particles and electromagnetic radiation) Reboot may be required frequently. Chips may also be destructed. Normally chips used in space are hardened to sustain ionizing radiation.
Gravity 1/6th on the Moon:
- Gravity and acceleration sensors will be inaccurate.
No GPS, no wifi, no network:
- Location cannot be determined.
- Communications cannot be established.
Devices used on the Moon will experience the same constraints that on board satellites and space probes.